Wednesday, February 7, 2007

This, I like.

Can't help but grab this post and stick it on mine. Hey, it's a free blog-world, is it not? What insight, what truth contained in this meditation below from the blog next door, "Here's to Hindsight." It's not about me trying to be good or trying at all - it's about surrender and a giving up - a realizing that I am nothing without the saving grace of Jesus Christ.

***

Rest
By "Here's to Hindsight"
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)

When Jesus said [those words], He assumed we would all grow weary, discouraged, disheartened along the way. These words are a touching testimony to the genuine humanness of Jesus.
- Brennan Manning, The Ragamuffin Gospel

One of my friends asked me once if Christianity is like the "lazy" form of religion, because it kills off the notion of the necessity of being a good person. And after I thought about it, I think I realized that Christianity is not at all lazy, because it requires a great deal of effort to remember that I can do nothing to earn my salvation, especially when everything inside of me wants to lay claim to some worthy actions. Christianity, in its truest form, tells me to kill off the notion of pride... to recognize myself incapable of doing good. It's pretty humbling. And immensely beautiful.

Here it is, really: Jesus did not die to make me a good person. He died to make the dead thing in me alive.

No comments: