Monday, April 2, 2007

The mystery of faith

I have certain quotes, things I read here and there that have been sources of inspiration, encouragement, hope, chastisement, at critical junctures in my life. I want to note them here, to share them with others, and remember them for times when I start to forget that God does speak, that He listens, that He knows what we need to hear.

"When God is going to do something wonderful, He always starts with hardship; when God is going to do something amazing, He always starts with an impossibility."

-Ann Lammott - Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith



"Those who cry as they plant crops will sing at harvest time.
Those who cry as they carry out the seeds will return singing and carrying bundles of grain."

-Psalms 126: 5-6


"I wait for the Lord to help me, and I trust his word.
I wait for the Lord to help me more than night watchmen wait for the dawn,
more than night watchmen wait for the dawn.
People of Israel, put your hope in the Lord because He is loving and able to save. He will save Israel from all their sins."

Psalms 128:5-8


and last but not least, PSALM 91.

I saw this on the license plate of a parked car as I was getting out of a taxi near my apartment one evening last year; and I ran to my room to see what words were there. Tears came as I realized that God was speaking to me in that moment, with the words I needed to hear. I went downstairs to see if the car was still there. It had disappeared.

Those who go to God the Most High for safety will be protected by the Almighty.
I will say to the Lord, "You are my place of safety and protection. You are my God and I trust you."

God will save you from hidden traps and from deadly diseases. He will cover you with feathers, and under his wings you can hide. His truth will be your shield and protection. You will not fear any danger by night or an arrow during the day. You will not be afraid...

The Lord is your protection; you have made God Most High your place of safety...

The Lord says, "Whoever loves me, I will save. I will protect those who know me. They will call to me, and I will answer them. I will be with them in trouble; I will rescue them and honor them. I will give them a long, full life, and they will see how I can save."

No comments: