Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Um, Was God Talkin' to Me?

So, I came home from work today and started going through the internet to find job listings. Anything. Something. High and Low. (and I mean High and well, mostly very Low!) hehe.

Then I decided I needed to stop and pray. I went to my room, sat on my bed, and asked God to speak to me through His word (i.e., the Bible). I wasn't sure what I was expecting to find, but I decided I needed to ask for His help before doing anything foolish.

Well, strangely, I opened to Jeremiah and came upon Chapter 31. My eyes kind of went buggy when I got to this passage: "Restrain your voice from weeping and your eyes from tears for your work will be rewarded," declares the Lord. "They will return from the land of the enemy, So there is hope for your future," declares the Lord.

and then onwards. Then, "Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take. Return, O Virgin Israel, return to your towns. How long will you wander, O unfaithful daughter? The Lord will create a new thing on earth -- a woman will surround a man."

Oh...my...goodness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Its me "anonymous" again.
I think this verse is about fundamental change coming through love, faithfulness, "home", and other traditionally "feminine" attributes of leadership, rather than through the force and violence and wandering of the patriarchal model of leadership.
We may lose our way, but can always find our way home by simply retracing our steps, and trusting the way of love (and God).
The way of the man has failed. Even with all good will, and in good faith, he may lead those he loves astray. But her way can be the compass that leads her back, and can ultimately lead him back as well. The woman is the hearth. Warm. Nurturing. Encompassing. Home.
It sounds like a metaphor (and a Christian vision) for the whole society. But, perhaps, in the process, a particular woman will save a particular man, and lead him home to love's embrace.
Blessings.

Sue Nahm said...

Wow, insightful. Thanks. I wonder if I know you anonymous. Regardless, I appreciate your thoughtful comment...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sue Nahm said...

thanks for your latest posting anonymous. i deleted your last comment as you requested.